Gold Community Public Commander Keen Forum
    > Unofficial Keen Games
        > New Isis and Contest
New Topic    Add Reply

Page 1 2

Author Comment
eK
Vortininja
(3/27/01 5:33:11 am)
New Isis and Contest
Yes, that's right, but it's not exactly what I said it was going to be. The new Isis has the same 2 levels, but in addition it has 1 new weapon, 2 new enemies (both underwater foes), completely new point items, health items, and a FEW new tiles. Most importantly, however, is the level editor.

I'm releasing the level editor now, without complete documentation (to come tommorrow) along with the new version of the game, and with it is a contest.

Isis needs a new level designer (or two) and to decide who would be best for the job, I'm going to have a contest. The levels that come with the new demo have very stange item placement, done by pLeit for who knows what reason, and I think Isis should have two new first levels to replace the old ones and their wierd items. The winner of the contest will have their
level be either the first or second level of Isis.

This is, of course, subject to change. There's also a distinct different between the first and second level. First levels are smaller and easier than second levels, and in the first level you would only find foogs and red-fish while in the second level you would have a chomper and a zeffer. (a chomper is the green fish, and the zeffer is the cyan colored gun) to add to the mix.

The first level is harder to make, and it has to have a cool feel. The second level would be easier, so I expect more submissions for it. Before making your level, you should decide which kind you want to make (first or second) and design it based on that. I may decide a first level submission is a good second level or vice versa, just to warn you.

To submit, just zip your map and mail it to me. Don't mail me any unzipped maps. You can upload it somewhere if you'd like, and I can download it. If you want to show your map to the public, that's fine. I'm also releasing the editor for people who don't want to compete to make maps.

Right now the only tileset available is the ones already seen. It is only the first two levels, after all, and those are what those tiles are made for. If you get accepted, think of the level that got you in as the first draft. You will have access to more tiles (including cave tiles) to enhance your map, and you will also have powerups and other items to use when they are completed. So if you think you have a chance, plan your level in anticipation of getting access to those new tiles.

Don't use pLeit's item placement. Look at the original games for exmaples of good item placement. I want your items floating in the air. I want to see SGA characters formed out of items (though it's not a requirement, nor criteria for selection, just an idea) I want to see creative item usage.

There's going to be a few main things I'll be looking for. Creative usage of the tiles, items, enemies, and secrets is a big one. If you can do something new and different with what I'm sending you, imagine what you could do with 5x more tiles. I'm also looking for a creative layout. Keen's in a jungle in these levels (well, sorta anyway) so the levels should look fairly natural, but I'd still like to see interesting level design. Don't go too far though, first levels shouldn't be complex (and neither should second levels). The levels should be small, it shouldn't take too long to get to the exit, but you may want to add enough secrets to make the level large. I'll be looking for other things too, but those are the most important.

Want to add your own tiles to your level? If it's for the contest, talk to me about it, make your tiles, and I'll send you new files containing them. I'll only do this for contest related tiles and ones that fit the jungle atmosphere. Making your own tiles makes a big difference in selection, so you should all consider it if you have the ability. I don't want people making single bushes or something for their level. If you want your own tiles, you should go farther than just a tree or a small shrub. It'll take a lot of work for me to allow someone to do this, so don't bother unless your serious about it. Also, it should be noted that if you put new tiles in your level other people won't be able to play it without new .dat files.

When I made my first level, I added lots of tiles, it gives my level a unique and very cool feel. Without doing that, I don't think my level would have been possible the way I planned it. We probably will allow people to add tiles to a later version. But for now, it's too much work. Expect it when the game's done.

www.carlnet.org/~mcruz/Isis_v1a.zip
www.carlnet.org/~mcruz/Is...or_v1a.zip

Don't expect the documentation to help all that much. I'm only going to explain the basics, you'll have to ask questions on the board and look at the included levels for answers. Keep in mind, *I* don't even know what everything does in the editor. pLeit's more of an expert than I am. I've never really done water before, for instance. It wouldn't be very hard though.

Have fun and send in your levels!
ek@drigon.com

Snaily
Vortininja
(3/27/01 12:31:21 pm)
Re: New Isis and Contest
FYI: The editor is almost exactly like the editor for Worminator. If you want to see how to make levels, download it and the editor for it too see the construction basics.

Oh, yeah, a little tip: to delete a sprite, put the mouse pointer over it and press Delete.

________

¨@_

VF4588
Vortininja
(3/27/01 5:06:23 pm)
missing image (www.brone.net/ckrocket/vfani.gif)
Re: New Isis and Contest
I didn't read all of what you wrote eK (so i might've missed something..) but can I plz make a new Isis logo?

-----

OK, I've now played the new game a bit - cool items and such. And hey did you scrink the file size or somethinng?? Or maybe my modem is getting better....! HOORAY...!

» This message was posted by me, Vidar Flak. You can email me by clicking here. I have made a brand new homepage! Take a look. I make the Keen site CK Rocket, I'm the colorist for StarDust Entertainment's game Myth of the Moon Stone, and I'm a member of the free software company VaporTech International.«

Edited by: VF4588 at: 3/27/01 12:13:54 pm
eK
Vortininja
(3/27/01 6:04:42 pm)
Isis logo
Well, I planned on making a new one, but if you want to do it that's fine. I'd rather have someone help out on sprites and tiles though.

Snaily
Vortininja
(3/27/01 6:29:34 pm)
Re: Isis logo
Can't you contact the old members of the team? Or has it completely fallen apart?

If NOTHING else comes up and it is a time of crisis, I culd probably help out on the sprite design. But, I'd rather have Ilsoap or Metasin (if I forgot someone, no offense) as sprite designers.

________

¨@_

eK
Vortininja
(3/27/01 7:14:51 pm)
nah
Ilsoap is busy and MetaSin not only isn't reliable, but I don't know if he even DOES sprites and tiles.

Byrd no7
Vortininja
(3/27/01 8:21:12 pm)
Level Editor
If you have any questions about the level editor or have any errors, direct them this way, and I'll help you any way that I can.

byrd_no7@hotmail.com

The NEW spaz
Vortininja
(3/27/01 8:42:22 pm)
..
When's the deadline for the level contest thingy Ek?

eK
Vortininja
(3/27/01 9:24:06 pm)
Editor Help
I don't know, I guess send it in by April 20th ... that should give you guys enough time.

Need help with the editor?
www.carlnet.org/~mcruz/edithelp.html

Will be updated when the need arises.

eK
Vortininja
(3/27/01 11:38:15 pm)
A few things
Anyone notice the improvement on the recolored keen from the last version? Go fire up the old demo and have a gander at the difference.

What do you guys think of the pop can and the cereal? Are they good items or bad ones?

The Chomper fish - he's no dopey, but as he is right now (which is incomplete), do you like him? Think he's keenish? In the final version he'll spend a lot of time napping, but if you wake him ... ouch.

Lyris, if you see this. Can you tell me what id said to you about your game? What you'd have to do in order to get their okay?

Zeffer - you guys like it? It's keen's new base weapon, like the raygun and stunner.

New point item and health item floatups?

Anything you don't like?

Lyris
Vortininja
(3/28/01 12:15:15 pm)
Quote:
Can you tell me what id said to you about your game? What you'd have to do in order to get their okay?
Sorry I have to tell you this :( but read:

View Mail Help

Previous - Select folder -Spam Trash Sent

[ Show Full Headers ]

Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 12:17:36 -0600
From: toddh@idsoftware.com (Todd Hollenshead) Add To Address Book
To: webmaster@sdent.every1.net
Subject: @#%$ Game

www.classicgaming.com/sta...case.shtml

I don't know if this is real or not, but before you put a bunch of time
into this you should be aware that you can't do this without a license from
us. If you are interested in obtaining a license, you would need to submit
a proposal to us requesting a license and containing all the general items
that would be included in a "proof of concept" document.

Regards,

Todd Hollenshead
CEO
id Software, Inc.

Assuming that they'd want to sell you the license for a considerable amount of money - and remember @#%$ GBC.

I understand that there's no harm intended, but unfortunately that isn't
the issue here. We can't allow unlicensed third parties to use our
intellectual property for any reason.

There is a universe of possible things that you could create, but you can't
use @#%$.

tsh

Lyris
Vortininja
(3/28/01 12:18:37 pm)
-
And who set it up to filter K-e-e-n?

Lyris
Vortininja
(3/28/01 12:26:34 pm)
-
Hey, editor's pretty cool - but I see why the project's progress may have slowed down. The editor can get a bit annoying, when you can only select one tile at a time - or is there some trick behind this?

Snaily
Vortininja
(3/28/01 3:16:52 pm)
Re: -
Naah. You can just select one at a time :( .

About the MUS and PLAX sprites, the MUS sets music and the PLAX sets the parralaxing background. I'm not sure, but I don't think you can place more than one of any of them.

________

¨@_

therealdopefish
Vortininja
(3/28/01 5:13:27 pm)
Oh, No
I read the Editordocument and I saw there are also raineffects in it. That was one of the hidden things I wanted to add in RKP2. Though I didn't think of adding Snoweffects in it. Looks like isis 2 is better. I'll see if I can make a level(I hope I have enough time though)

eK
Vortininja
(3/28/01 5:34:44 pm)
Huh?
One at a time? What? You can select more than one tile at once. Just left click the area you want and then holding the right button, drag the cursor down. It has to be from upper left to lower right though. I'd have shot myself if you could only do one tile at a time.

Ilsoap
Vortininja
(3/28/01 5:42:04 pm)
Levels and Sprites
I'm gonna make a level or two as well...

I did try making sprites, but Geoff didn't approve them. eK, if you never saw those sprites (or don't remember seeing them) I'll send them to you again. There was a batlike creature, a creature that hung from the ceiling, a big blue worm (that was too big for the game... I had forgotten about the resolution you guys were using).

So what's the speed of dark, anyway?

Snaily
Vortininja
(3/28/01 5:51:29 pm)
Re: Levels and Sprites
There IS a way?!!! ¤&("&¤/¤&/("&¤(&¤ - /me curses

eK - Will you accept multiple submissions from one person?

________

¨@_

eK
Vortininja
(3/28/01 6:29:26 pm)
Limits
Ilsoap, yah, I saw those sprites, remember? I didn't think they fit with Isis either. I remember there was maybe 1 or 2 things in that file that might have, but they were small, insignificant things like mushrooms.

Well, I'd like to set the limit at 2, since that's how many different levels we need, but if you want, it can be 3, I guess. Keep in might though, if you do do that many, at least one is going to get rejected. It took me about a week or two to do my level over the summer, but then again, my level was much more complex than the ones I'm asking from you guys.

eK
Vortininja
(3/28/01 7:47:47 pm)
Remember
Another thing, don't submit unless your willing to do at the very least, 3 more levels. That's at the very least, we're looking for people who can do about 6 or 7...

Also, be careful about which green tiles you use. When we switch levels over to the full internal tileset some of the green tiles will be filled with normal tiles, which can take a lot of editing to fix. To avoid this problem before it happens, only use fully green tiles near the top of the tile menu.

Oh, and we might release a patch. Don't worry, it won't mess up your levels.

The NEW spaz
Vortininja
(3/29/01 7:48:55 am)
..
I think the editor is strange.. I have no idea what the sprite layer is (Layer where @#%$ walks on). I guess it's the foreground layer..

eK
Vortininja
(3/29/01 8:23:06 am)
Oy
There is no sprite layer. Sprites are just there.
As with what layer @#%$ walks on. I guess you could say he walks on the info layer. The foreground and background tiles aren't solid, only the info layer contains the tiles that make the level solid ...

Go look at pLeit's levels with the info layer turned on. You'll see what I mean.

Oh, and just so you guys know, yes, doing angles DOES suck and yes, you have to do them the way pleit did. With the angled info tiles with the special solid tiles underneath and everything. I recommend doing large areas of a map, and then going through and making stuff solid. It goes faster that way. (rather than doing everything in little bits).

The level editor is hard to get the hang of at first, but once you get used to it, it's pretty easy to work with.

The NEW spaz
Vortininja
(3/30/01 8:55:03 pm)
..
Ehe is the word Keen (K-e-e-n) on the censor list or something?

eK
Vortininja
(4/2/01 4:25:47 am)
Re: New Isis and Contest
So how are the levels coming?

------------------------------------ Visit my homapage at http://www.drigon.com/~ek Or, visit the cc314 page at http://www.classicgaming.net/cc314 Or, If your an artist, I could probably really use your help on "The Mystery of Isis II". And finally, for those of you who don't want to visit my homepage, cc314, or help out with Isis. Bah! : )

Snaily
Vortininja
(4/2/01 10:09:00 am)
Re: New Isis and Contest
I haven't really started building it yet *blushes*.

Too much in school (but that will be over soon).

________

¨@_

Page 1 2 << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>

Add Reply

Email This To a Friend Email This To a Friend
Topic Control Image Topic Commands
Subscribe Click to receive email notification of replies
Unsubscribe Click to stop receiving email notification of replies
jump to:

- Public Commander Keen Forum - Unofficial Keen Games - Cerebral Cortex 314 -